Learn how to disappear completely with advice from a former CIA agent. In this post, we’ll show you how to disappear without a trace.
Whether you seek a fresh start or enhanced privacy, it’s possible with the right knowledge and preparation.
Disclosure: This site earns commissions from listed merchants at no cost to you. Thank you!
Step 1: Plan Ahead
The first step in disappearing is to plan ahead. This means considering your destination, your transportation, and your survival needs.
Planning ahead will help you avoid mistakes and ensure a smoother transition into your new life.
Tips for Planning Ahead
- Research your destination thoroughly
- Make a list of what you need to bring
- Have a backup plan in case things don’t go as planned
- Think about how you will earn a living in your new life
Step 2: End All Contracts
Contracts can reveal your whereabouts and are a trail for anyone trying to find you. To vanish completely, you need to terminate all contracts like rentals, phone plans, and utilities.
This will eliminate any trace of your existence in that location.
Tips for Ending Contracts
- Read the contract carefully before terminating it
- Give ample notice to the other party
- Make sure to settle all outstanding balances
- Get written confirmation of contract termination
Step 3: Get a PAYG Burner Phone
A burner phone is an anonymous prepaid mobile. It allows you to communicate without revealing your identity and is an essential tool for disappearing.
With a burner phone, you can communicate with the people you need to without leaving a trace.
Tips for Choosing and Using a Burner Phone
- Buy a phone in cash
- Choose a phone that is not linked to your name or address
- Use the phone sparingly and only for essential communication
- Dispose of the phone when you no longer need it
Step 4: Travel Light
When disappearing, you want to avoid drawing attention to yourself. One way to do this is by traveling light.
It means taking only what’s necessary and leaving the rest. The less you have, the easier it is to move around unnoticed.
Tips for Packing Lightly
- Make a list of what you need and stick to it
- Choose lightweight and versatile clothing
- Leave behind sentimental items
- Carry cash in small denominations
Step 5: Use Cash Not Credit Cards
Using credit cards leaves a trail that can be traced back to you. For complete disappearance, use cash for everything. It’ll make tracking you difficult.
Tips for Managing Finances with Cash
- Withdraw cash from different ATMs
- Keep cash in a safe place
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash at once
- Use money orders for larger transactions
Step 6: Quit Social Media
Social media is a treasure trove of personal information that can be used to track you down. To disappear completely, you must quit social media and delete all your accounts
Tips for Disengaging from Social Media
- Delete all your social media accounts
- Remove any tags or mentions of yourself from other people’s posts
- Ask friends and family to refrain from posting about you
- Stay away from creating new accounts or using someone else’s account
Step 7: Change Your Name By Law
Changing your name is an important step in disappearing completely. This will make it difficult for people to track you down using your previous identity.
Legally changing your name requires following the right channels and procedures.
Tips for Changing Your Name Legally
- Research the legal requirements for a name change in your jurisdiction
- Choose a new name that is not easily connected to your old one
- Prepare and submit the required documentation
- Update your identification documents with your new name
Step 8: Cut All Ties To Friends & Family
Cutting ties with friends and family is one of the hardest steps when disappearing. However, it is essential to maintain your anonymity.
Your loved ones might accidentally reveal info or search for you, risking your new life.
Tips for Disengaging from Friends and Family
- Explain your reasons for disappearing, if possible
- Assure them that you are safe and well
- Request that they respect your decision and not try to find you
- Avoid contacting them using any traceable means of communication