The great outdoors is full of things to see and do. From camping and hiking to wilderness survival, there’s no shortage of adventures right outside your door.
If you want to be prepared for everything Mother Nature has to offer, you will need the proper tools. But how do you prepare for the unknown? Cue the survival shovel!
Whether you’ve run out of firewood or food, strayed from your path, or encountered a life-threatening situation, the best survival shovel will have everything you need to tackle your obstacle.
So, forget about making a list of all the survival tools you’ll need for your next adventure, and check out this list of the best survival shovels for any type of outdoor enthusiast.
Disclosure: This site earns commissions from listed merchants at no cost to you. Thank you!
What Is a Survival Shovel?
A survival shovel is a multi-purpose tool. It typically includes a heavy-duty shovel, sharp axe, saw blade with a serrated edge, hammer, and other survival tools.
Survival shovels go by many names, including entrenching tools, tactical shovels, and camping shovels. But no matter what you call them, they’re lightweight, versatile, and portable, and you can use them for a range of diverse outdoor survival tasks.
Things To Consider When Purchasing a Survival Shovel
Before we move on to reviewing the best survival shovels, there are a few things you should consider to make sure you choose the right tool for your needs.
The essential consideration is what you will be using a survival shovel for, as it will help determine how much you should spend on it, what material you should look for, and what capabilities the shovel needs.
For instance, if you’re into survivalist adventuring, you’ll want to go for a highly durable survival shovel with many capabilities. These usually cost much more than a simple survival shovel.
On the other hand, if you simply want a tool to store in your car or emergency kit to get out of sticky situations, then you can get away with a cheaper, more basic survival shovel.
With this in mind, the list below includes a variety of survival shovels, from low-cost and simple to expensive and complex. So, there’s sure to be a survival shovel on this list for whatever purpose you have in mind.
Most survival shovels are made from carbon steel. Carbon steel is stronger and harder than stainless steel, making it extremely durable.
There are different types of carbon steel, though. For example, some of the more durable survival shovels on this list are made from high-carbon steel or military-grade carbon steel, making them ideal for activities involving intense force, like felling a tree or picking ice.
The type of material you want depends on what you’ll be doing with the shovel and how often you’ll use it. Of course, higher-grade carbon steel will be more expensive.
If you’re not going to be using your survival shovel often, you can get away with spending around $20 for a decent tool. However, if you’re going to use it often and it will replace a lot of your other tools, you’ll likely be spending $50 to $100.
Typically, the pricier survival shovels on this list will have a warranty. While a warranty won’t help you if your tool breaks out in the wilderness, it’s certainly nice to have.
A warranty is an indicator that the product you’re buying is high-quality and the manufacturer has confidence in the product. So, not only will it save you money if anything goes wrong, it will give you more peace of mind when making a purchase.
7 of the Best Survival Shovels
Now that you know what to look for, here’s the list of the top seven survival shovels to make your next outdoor adventure more manageable.
SOG Entrenching Tool – Best for Long Trips
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast who frequently embarks on multi-day hiking adventures, this is the perfect survival shovel for you.
At just over a pound, this foldable multi-use tool fits easily into your backpack, and you won’t even notice you’re carrying it. In addition, it comes with a carrying bag, so you won’t have to worry about sharp edges knicking your tent or other valuables.
The spade head has a sawtooth edge to cut branches or roots on your path. It can also be adjusted to use it as a hoe.
Since it’s so compact, the handle isn’t very long, so keep that in mind if you’re on the taller side or have a bad back/knees. The size makes it easy for kids to use, though. So, it’s ideal if your whole family loves outdoor exploration.
At just over $20, it’s a great little tool to add to your arsenal. You never know when you’re going to need it!
Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 3 inches
Weight: 24.5 ounces
Material: Carbon steel
- Good value for money
- Not as sturdy as other shovels
- Short handle makes it difficult for some to use
- 18.25 INCH FULL LENGTH, 24.5 OUNCES: Lightweight foldable outdoor, hunting, military shovel is versatile to get the job done. E-Tool features a wood saw edge to cut or chop small branches and trees for kindling or fire building
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: The multi-use shovel folds down to be barely bigger than your hand. 10 inches in length when folded, it takes up about the same space as a stack of paper plates. A needed tool that is easy to pack and takes up no space in your backpack, or camp kit
- HIGH-CARBON STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Super durable to handle the long list of jobs the shovel was designed to handle in extreme conditions. Dig through dirt, sand, gravel mud, and snow with the tempered steel blade. The triangular handle is strong and fits the hand well for optimal use when digging, trenching, cutting, or slashing
- 3-WAY FOLDING DESIGN: Hand shovel collapses into a portable outdoor shovel, emergency shovel, and hiking shovel. The rotating spade blade can be adjusted to act as a pick or hoe. Ultimate camp tool to dig fire pits, bury waste, or trench drainage lines
- SOG TACTICAL SHOVEL FOR LIFE: Take care of your folding shovel and we’ll take care of you; SOG shovels for digging are built to last, and we consider all repair and replacement requests
Sahara Sailor Survival Shovel – Best for Multipurpose
Are you looking for a survival shovel that can do it all? Look no further than the Sahara Sailor Survival Shovel! It is a 24-in-1 survival shovel, so you’ll be ready to tackle whatever task comes your way.
Some of the popular tools this shovel has are a whistle, screwdriver, compass, spear, knife, bottle opener, wrench, axe, and saw. This shovel’s capabilities make it ideal for hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, and more.
This shovel was also built to last and boasts a lifetime durability guarantee. If you should have any other issues with it, it also comes with a lifetime warranty. The customer service team at Sahara Sailor is top-notch; they’ll ensure your tool is repaired or replaced without any hassle.
While it’s a little on the heavy side compared to other shovels on this list, it makes several other tools unnecessary. So, your pack will probably end up lighter in the end.
The best aspect of this shovel has to be the design. Being all-in-one reduces the likelihood that you’ll lose or misplace something because all the tools are integrated into the handle, so you don’t need to carry anything extra.
Dimensions: 10.4 x 8.9 x 3.5 inches
Weight: 5.74 pounds
Material: Military-grade carbon steel
- 24 functions in one tool
- Extremely durable
- Sahara Sailor has great customer service
- Many different attachments to remember
- Some have complained about the bag being low-quality
- Your Camping Companion: If you're a camper seeking for a collection of camping items to lighten the weight of your backpack, look no further; Sahara Sailor brings you this practical survival gear kit, that includes 24 tools, is perfect for off-road tours, camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, emergency survival situation and RV camping
- Compact Carrying Bag: We are aware that you worry about loosing the components. Sahara Sailor designed a compact bag along with the extraordinary survival shovel set. There are several spacing layers inside the bag to keep every component neatly sorted and safely stored
- Improved Dual Purpose Axe and Screw-On Extension Bars: Allows you to drive tent stakes with the axe attachment and cut the branches (not cutting trees). In addition to being a standard folding shovel, this tool can be comfortably extended with four extension bars to a length of 9.05 to 39.5 inches that come in handy in many situations
- 180° Adjustable Shovel Head: You can adjust the shovel head to various angles that will give the option you use it as a shovel, hoe, saw. This multifunctional tool will support you in any situation and is always ready to go
- Lifetime Durability: Sahara Sailor is the top brand of tactical shovels sold on Amazon in terms of high-quality products and lifetime durability. We provide lifetime warranty on our survival shovel set so you don’t have to worry about the durability. Still, if you have issues, don't hesitate to get in touch with us; our support team will solve it
iunio Camping Shovel – Best Value
If you’re looking for a tool to add to your camping pack or throw in your car in case of emergencies, the iunio Camping Shovel is the product for you.
You can use this shovel as a saw or pickaxe, and it also has a bottle opener, compass, and nail extractor. This particular model is the basic model, but iunio also has a standard and premium model if you’re looking for more features.
The antiskid handle gives you a superior grip while digging, and the lock on the handle ensures the tool stays in place through rigorous use. It’s also foldable, so it’s easy to fit in any backpack or glove compartment.
It’s a lightweight shovel, meaning it’s quite small. But, if you’re only going to be using it for when you need to get out of a pinch, you can’t beat the price.
Dimensions: 18.11 x 2.17 x 4.33 inches
Weight: 1.39 pounds
Material: Rubber, carbon steel
- Excellent value
- Sharp edge makes cutting and chopping a breeze
- Easy to grip
- On the smaller side
- Some have complained the ice pick is subpar
- Portable Folding Shovel w/pick (18.3in): Designed and produced by many experienced outdoor enthusiasts, it is the perfect emergency shovel for RV camping, hiking, gardening, backpacking, off-roading, metal detecting, hunting, fishing and more.
- Versatile Military Shovel: Features a regular survival shovel doesn't even have: shovel board, saw, bottle opener, whistle, pickaxe, nail extractor, hoe, compass. iunio collapsible shovel is assembled practicability, functionality and security in it.
- Sturdy & Durable: iunio camping folding shovel blade and handle are made of high-carbon steel which is high-strength and wear-resistant. The grip on the handle is made of rubber and this shovel has passed the durability tests and our destruction tests.
- Portable & Compact: The foldable shovel full 18.3" long extended but only 8.7" x 5.1" when folded into included carry BAG with a belt loop to carry at your side. A must-have camping accessories for Entrenching, Shoveling, Digging, Sawing and Cutting.
- iunio Survival Shovel Lasts for Life: At iunio, We Stand Behind Our Products. If You Ever Experience Any Defects or Damage, Contact Our Customer Service Team and Receive A Replacement On Us.
Suprock Survival Shovel – Best for Camping
The Suprock Survival Shovel is every camper’s must-have tool. Backwood campers will appreciate the axe, knife, saw, ignitor, and fish scaler the most among its many capabilities.
This survival shovel is made of high-carbon steel, making the axe capable of felling a tree. So you’ll never have to worry about running out of firewood. What’s more, if you like to catch your own dinner while camping, the fish scaler is super handy.
The tool comes with separate covers for both the spade head and axe head to keep them from getting damaged. The carrying bag comes with a strap, so it’s easy to attach to any other baggage you’re carrying. Though, some have complained the zippers break easily.
One of the best features of this shovel is the lifetime replacement warranty. While it’s unlikely you’ll run into any issues because of the shovel’s durability, if you do, you simply need to contact Suprock for a replacement.
Dimensions: 10.71 x 8.78 x 3.31 inches
Weight: 4.69 pounds
Material: High-carbon steel
- Capable of heavy-duty jobs
- Good-sized spade head
- Easy to assemble
- Bag is of lower quality
- No warranty
- High-quality Materials: The shovel axe are made of thick high-carbon steel, with 3CR13 high carbon stainless steel integrated casting technology, high strength, strong and durable. The multifunctional camping equipment is the best partner of outdoor camping and traveling adventurer.
- Rugged Climbing Axe: The axe is made of a powerful mixture of chromium and high carbon steel. The two hardest metals can withstand any type of shock，sturdy and durable.
- 24-in-1 Multi-function Shovel: Suprock tactical shovel is a 24-in-1 multi-function shovel, includes shovel, axe, knife, saw, hoe, hook, stick, and spanner, a corkscrew, whistle,igniter, ice cone, fish scale, compass, etc., Very suitable for chopping, shoveling, cutting, sawing, digging, mining, hammering, and bottle opening.
- Talisman Designs: This multifunctional camping shovel with axe has a longest dimension of 32.4 inches when fully assembled, and can be easily fitted into a 10x9.4-inch carrying bag made of heavy-duty nylon and metal clips.Ideal for camping, hiking, gardening, backpacking, hunting, expeditions, car emergency and wild survival.
- Lifetime Replacement Service: The strong quality brings you a worry-free shopping experience. This multi-functional survival shovel can be used forever. If you encounter unpleasant problems during use, please contact us in time to solve all the problems and exchange them for you.
HUZSV Survival Shovel Set – Best Survival Set
This incredible multi-tool survival shovel set will be useful for various tasks. It has 28 different tools, including the following:
- Fire starter
The shovel and axe are made from a mix of chromium and high-carbon steel for maximum durability and rust resistance. And the axe’s blade is razor-sharp and basically unbreakable, optimizing efficiency when chopping wood.
With all these great features comes a drawback, though; it’s quite a sizeable set to lug around. But, if you’re serious about safety, it’s a small price to pay.
One of the stand-out features of this set is the case that comes with it. The case has a designated spot for each item, so you can keep your tools organized and always know where everything is when you’re in a bind.
Realistically, any problems you may encounter with this survival shovel will be easily solvable. What makes it the best survival set is that it has many helpful features, is sturdy and functional, and comes with a lifetime warranty that covers almost anything that might go wrong.
Dimensions: 17.36 x 11.18 x 3.35 inches
Weight: 9.15 pounds
Material: Chromium and high-carbon steel
- Set includes everything you need for survival activities
- High-quality carrying case
- Great reviews
- On the expensive side
- 28-in-1 Survival Tools:Features 28 tools in this convenient folding shovel set:shovel, flashlight,saw, axe, hoe, hexagon wrench, scissors, multi-function tools,bottle opener, screw set, compass,whistle,hunting knife,etc.
- Toughest Material: Reinforced shovel is made from hardened, heat-treated military solid carbon steel; sturdy enough deal with survival activities or car/truck emergency;it's military-grade thicken handle makes it a breeze to work with. Handle abuse and multiple amounts of impact without scratches or dents.
- Camping Axe:The hatchet is made from a strong mix of chromium and high carbon steel, making it super strong and rust-resistant. You can dismantle firewood, dismantle branches, This shovel has passed the durability tests and our destruction tests and will be standing the test of time.
- Extended & Portable Folding Shovel: 9.45 inches (about 24 cm) long after folding, light and portable. The extended back shovel can reach up to 40.1 inches (approximately 102 cm) to meet any of your needs. Very suitable for camping, backpacking, hiking, off-roading, fishing, emergency,gardening, etc.
- Easy to Assemble and Store: All parts are assembled in a box, very convenient to carry. When you need to use it, it only takes a few minutes to assemble; This survival gear set be prepared for anything; it is the best gift for husband, elders, and friends.
GRAMFIRE Survival Tactical Shovel – Best for Anglers
The GRAMFIRE Survival Tactical Shovel is a fantastic option because it is small, light, and versatile.
Depending on what you’re doing with it, there are various length and angle options for the durable high-carbon steel and aluminum shovel. For example, it can be angled to 180 degrees for shoveling and chopping, 90 degrees for hoeing, or 45 degrees to use as a hook.
A unique feature of this shovel is that it comes equipped with a spear for fishing. So, this survival shovel is ideal if you like to catch your dinner fresh from the water.
Unfortunately, this shovel doesn’t come with a warranty. However, you shouldn’t have any issues, as it’s corrosion-resistant, wear-resistant, and durable enough to withstand heavy-duty shoveling and digging.
Dimensions: 11.97 x 8.58 x 2.6 inches
Weight: 3.58 pounds
Material: High-carbon steel and aluminum
- Easy-to-follow instructions
- Highly durable
- No warranty
- Harpoon may not be of use for some people
Yeacool Folding Shovel – Best Spade Head
The Yeacool Folding Shovel is another shovel with a variety of crucial uses! Shovel, saw, camping axe, hoe, trowel, bottle opener, fire starter, safety hammer, hook, waterproof storage tube, screwdriver, whistle, compass, and wire cutter are just some of the tools you’ll get.
This shovel is very simple to assemble and replace individual pieces. For durability, it’s comprised of strong gauge steel and aluminum.
The best feature of this shovel is its spade head’s segmented design. Depending on your height, the adjustable handle can extend up to 40 inches at its longest or 16 inches at its shortest. In addition, the shovel head can adapt to any angle, thanks to the screw-twist locking mechanism, allowing you to switch between tasks effortlessly.
Additionally, a sturdy nylon carrying pouch is included with it, making it simple to store away in your backpack or car.
This survival shovel comes with a lifetime replacement warranty, so you can make your purchase with confidence.
Dimensions: 39.71 x 5.98 x 1.38 inches
Weight: 4.6 pounds
Material: Aluminum, stainless steel
- High-quality material
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Great value for money
- Heavier compared to other shovels on the market
- Doesn’t include an ice pick
- Survival Shovel with many essential functions! Shovel, saw, camping axe, hoe, trowel, bottle opener, fire starter, hexagon wrenches, safety hammer, ruler, hook, waterproof storage tube, screw driver, whistle, compass and wire cutter. Very easy to put together and change out pieces. A very robust all-in-one tool!
- Lightweight and Durable Shovel. Our Camping Shovel is made of heavy gauge steel and aluminum for long lasting use! Rustproof, lightweight, precisely machined. And it comes with a tough nylon carrying pouch which makes it easy to store away in your garage, car, truck. Lighten your pack significantly with our multifunctional shovel!
- Folding Shovel with segmented design! The adjustable handle can reach up to 40 inch at its longest or 16 inch at its shortest, depending on your height. The screw-twist locking design makes the shovel head adapt to any angle, easily meeting your demands in the field. A designer shovel you need for any adventure!
- Lifetime Replacement & Ideal Gift - Yeacool camping shovels are made from only the highest quality materials with lifetime replacement satisfaction! Purchase with confidence! Unique Gift for people who love outdoor activities, Put a big smile to their face with this amazing multifunction shovel!
- Yeacool Foldable Shovel. Great for Metal Detecting, Off-roading, Metal Detecting, Hiking, 4-Wheeling, SUVing, Backpacking, Fishing, Gardening, Entrenching, RV Camping and Car emergencies.
If you still have questions about survival shovels, check out some of the most common questions below.
What is the number one survival tool?
It depends on who you ask. Arguably, a fire starter is the best survival tool to have. You can use it to stay warm, prepare meals, boil water, and sleep soundly without being concerned about predators.
Another indispensable survival tool is a compass. While most of us have compasses on our phones, phones can die or not work properly if there’s no signal. So, it’s better to have a compass that doesn’t rely on electricity or satellites. Most of the survival shovels on this list include a compass.
Are survival shovels worth it?
Absolutely. Not only will a survival shovel save you money, but it will also save you the effort of lugging around a bunch of different tools that you may not even use.
Think about it; instead of buying a shovel, axe, saw, etc., separately, which could run you hundreds of dollars, you can buy one tool for under $100. Likewise, instead of carrying all those tools, you’ll only have to carry one.
It’s best to buy a survival shovel early on in your survival adventures to avoid making other already purchased tools irrelevant. That said, even if you already have a bunch of other tools, it’s worth buying for the convenience it provides.
Who needs a survival shovel?
Survival shovels will get their most use with campers, hikers, survivalists, and other outdoor adventurers. However, a survival shovel is an indispensable tool for anyone.
Even if you don’t spend much time in nature, it’s a good idea to have a survival shovel in your car. That way, if you ever get stuck in deep snow or need to break the window of your car to escape, you have everything you need in one tool.
The survival shovel’s versatility makes it an ideal gift for the hard-to-shop-for person. It’s highly unlikely they won’t have a use for it, and they’ll certainly appreciate your concern for their safety!
What’s the best survival shovel?
Again, it depends on the purpose of the shovel. But, if we had to pick the best-of-the-best survival shovel, it would be the Sahara Sailor Survival Shovel.
The ideal survival shovel will fulfill several requirements. It will be strong, compact, versatile, useful, and long-lasting. These qualities and more are included in the Sahara Sailor Survival Shovel.
With 24 tools in one, you’ll be prepared for anything Mother Nature throws at you. Plus, with a lifetime warranty, you can be assured that you’re getting the best quality.
What shovel does the military use?
The military uses an entrenching shovel, which is commonly referred to as the Tri-Fold Shovel or E-tool. This particular shovel, known as the NATO Military Trench Shovel, is highly favored by military personnel worldwide. It is also a preferred tool among campers, hikers, survivalists, and even gardeners.
What is the strongest shovel material?
The strongest shovel material is steel, which is commonly used for the blades of digging shovels and garden spades. Steel is preferred over aluminum due to its heavier weight and superior durability. Although aluminum is more prone to denting and bending, it is a more cost-effective option and offers better resistance against rust. If you are considering a shovel with steel blades, it is advisable to choose models that come with a rust-resistant coating.
What is a Russian shovel?
A Russian shovel is believed to refer to the MPL-50 entrenching tools, which were originally created in 1869. These shovels were utilized by Soviet special forces for close-quarters combat and even as throwing weapons. The Ministry of Defense stated that the MPL-50 had gained a legendary status in Russia.
Who makes the best shovel for digging?
The best shovel for digging is the Hooyman Digging Shovel, which is considered the best overall. If you’re looking for the best value, the Fiskars Long-Handled Steel Digging Shovel is a great choice. For small jobs, the Black & Decker Mini D Handle Shovel is highly recommended. Other top options include the Corona All-Steel Round Point Shovel and the Bully Tools 14-Gauge Round Point Shovel.
What entrenching tool does the US Army use?
The US Army uses a Tri-Fold Entrenching Tool (E-Tool) as its entrenching tool, which is genuine and comes with a shovel cover.
What is a West Country shovel?
The West Country shovel is an open socket round mouth shovel that is equipped with a long straight handle, which has traditionally been utilized in the West Country.
Do soldiers still carry shovels?
Soldiers no longer carry shovels as a standard equipment.
Who makes the military shovel?
The military shovel is made by AMES or ACEMCO Military Contractor in the United States. It has dimensions of 9.4 x 6.1 x 2 inches and is available in black color. The shovel is constructed using alloy steel and aluminum materials.
What is a sapper shovel?
A sapper shovel is a small infantry shovel (MPL-50), commonly known as a sapper shovel or sapper. It is an engineering tool that serves multiple purposes, including digging trenches, burying and excavating mines, and moving vehicles.
Is A shovel considered a Lethal weapon?
A shovel is indeed considered a lethal weapon. It has historically been utilized as a combat weapon, specifically as a trench shovel, capable of causing severe internal bleeding if stabbed into the stomach. Additionally, a sharp shovel can be employed as a larger knife, although it may be more challenging to target sensitive areas like the neck due to its size.
What do you use a shovel for in survival?
A shovel is used for various purposes in survival situations. It is an essential tool to have in your survival kit as it can be used for digging holes, clearing snow, and moving sand to help free a stuck vehicle and escape from challenging environments such as dunes and muddy fields.
Do you need a shovel for bushcraft?
You do need a shovel for bushcraft. A shovel is an invaluable tool to have at camp, as it can be used for various tasks such as digging latrine holes, transferring hot coals, and clearing roots and vines. This particular shovel is durable and of high quality, unlike flimsy collapsible shovels.
Would a shovel make a good weapon?
A shovel can be considered a good weapon due to its ability to cause serious injury when swung at high speeds. The sharp blade of a shovel can result in deep bruising or a bad cut, making it an effective tool for self-defense or attack.
Why bring a shovel camping?
The reason for bringing a shovel when camping is to have a versatile tool that can be used for various purposes. Some of the main uses of a shovel during outdoor excursions include digging a hole for defecation, moving embers in a campfire, creating a rain trench around the tent, leveling the ground for tent pitching, digging a fire pit, and addressing off-roading mishaps.
What do you use a square shovel for?
A square shovel is used for scooping soil from the skirting of garden paths and removing unruly grasses from the outer corner of lawns or driveways. The square surface of the shovel provides a better grip on the material due to its flat tip.
How wide is a trenching shovel?
The width of a trenching shovel is 4 inches, making it a narrow tool for digging trenches.
What are tactical shovels for?
Tactical shovels serve a wide range of purposes, offering numerous functionalities. They enable you to saw, chop, trench, dig, start fires, determine your direction, open bottles, utilize screwdrivers, whistle for assistance, utilize paracord, break glass, use as an ice pick, and provide many other uses.
What shovel do the Marines use?
The Marines use the USGI Military Surplus TriFold Entrenching Shovel Tool Gerber (USMC), which is a collapsible spade utilized for various military purposes. Additionally, it is considered an essential tool for survivalists, free divers, campers, hikers, and other outdoor enthusiasts in field use.
Is a shovel a good survival tool?
A shovel is considered a valuable survival tool by many, surpassing even a dagger in versatility. Its usefulness extends to various activities such as constructing shelters, excavating, camping, and hiking. Survival enthusiasts highly recommend having a shovel as an essential tool. In situations where weapons are lacking, a shovel can greatly aid in ensuring one’s survival amidst danger.
What are the three types of shovels?
The three types of shovels are flat edged shovels, round blades, and pointed shovels. Flat edged shovels are most effective for loose soils and can also be used for scooping and edging. Round blades are more suitable for softer or newer soils, whereas pointed shovels are the best option for hard or compacted soils.
Do shovels make good weapons?
Shovels can be effective weapons due to the high speed at which the end of a shovel or any similar object can strike, causing significant injury. The sharpness of the blade at such speeds can result in severe cuts or deep bruising, further enhancing its potential as a weapon.
Why do soldiers carry shovels?
Soldiers carry shovels because they are equipped with a powder-coated, carbon steel shovel head and a serrated blade edge, making them a military-grade digging tool for trenches and holes. These shovels are specifically designed to conquer tough digging problems in all types of terrain, and are currently used by the US military.
What is the difference between a mattock and a trench shovel?
The difference between a mattock and a trench shovel is that trenching shovels are equipped with pointed tips to cut into the ground and squared sides to create even trench walls. On the other hand, pick mattocks have a pickaxe on one side of their heads to break soil, while the other side features a mattock blade for chopping roots.
What is the difference between stamped and forged shovels?
The difference between stamped and forged shovels lies in their manufacturing process. Stamped shovels are made from a piece of flat sheet metal, while forged shovels are cast from molten metal. Stamped shovels are more commonly found and are generally more affordable.
What is a grafter shovel?
A grafter shovel is a tool commonly used by landscapers and gardeners for heavy-duty tasks such as digging heavy clay soils and breaking ground. It is characterized by its slightly dished blade, which is designed to handle tough soil conditions. This type of shovel is also known as a grafting spade due to its versatility and suitability for various heavy work in landscaping.
Did soldiers use shovels as weapons?
Soldiers did use shovels as weapons, not only for digging fortifications and latrines but also for close combat in the trenches. The confined space of trench warfare made it challenging to effectively use rifles and bayonets, so soldiers often sharpened the edges of their shovels for this purpose.
What type of shovel is best for digging?
The best type of shovel for digging is the round-point shovel. It is specifically designed to dig, lift, and move materials such as compacted soil, roots, and clay. Unlike square-shaped shovels, the round-point shovel has a deeper head with a sharper blade around the edge. This allows it to easily penetrate the ground when pushed by the user.